Monday, December 19, 2005

My Overnight Plight

The overnight shift at the crisis line.... what fun! It is actually a nice change of pace to work this shift since the call volume is low and the atmosphere is quiet. It always amazes me how many people are up at all hours of the night with complaints of insomnia and how much sleep plays a role in our wellbeing. I think about how I've felt the next day after a night of not sleeping well and how grateful I am that it is not a regular occurrence. Sleep deprivation can make people ugly!

Sleep disorders affect up to 70 million people in the United States. This costs about $100 billion each year in accidents, medical bills and lost work. (Statistic from Brain Facts, Society for Neuroscience, 2002)

Let's see what else I can intrigue you with.... Sleepwalking is also known as "somnambulism"; sleeptalking is also known as "somniloquy."

My expert tip of the day: Get enough sleep. Brilliant, eh?

1 comment:

Stephen M Bourke said...

Whoa now! With all of those big words I was thinking that I was reading "King of the Caribees"! Glad to hear that you had fun with Aisha last night. Looks like I probably won't see you guys again this time through. I'm off Thursday, as well as Dec 25 thru Jan 2. It was fantastic seeing you both. It really hasn't been the same without you here. Until next time... - sb