Thursday, September 29, 2005

My Grandma Jo

We’ve been close for as long as I can remember. We have always had a special bond that has kept us very, very close through the years. As a baby I’ve been told that I would stop crying as soon as I was placed into her arms, and her ability to comfort has continued over time. Whenever I’m upset, I call grandma. She listens without judging and I ALWAYS feel better after a good talk with her. She has made a point to email me every, single day since we’ve lived in Grand Cayman. Her emails are filled with support and encouragement, just what I have needed during some of the tough days here. I think she knows me better than almost anyone. She understands me and supports me no matter what. She has provided me with guidance and expert advice during times when I have needed it most.

When we were little, Eric and I got to spend nearly every Friday night at grandma and grandpa’s house. They would treat us to Vic’s pizza, and then we would play Scrabble and watch Wheel of Fortune on tv. Saturday morning we would sit at the counter while grandma made homemade biscuits. During summer vacations I would practically beg her to take me to work with her. (Of course she always said “yes”.) I would have a blast playing “office”, and I loved to eat at the underground cafeteria. It was such a treat because I could get ANYTHING I wanted for lunch.

My grandma has a heart of gold. She is loving and generous, and she would do anything for her family. She goes out of her way to make sure we all know we are special and loved. She is fun and spunky and strong. She can master any new craft she tries, and she makes the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen. I owe my new love for crocheting to her because she is the one who taught me many years ago how to hold the hook and keep the yarn tight in the other hand. We are already talking about our plans to sew when I am home for the holidays. I love the memories I have of us sewing together, talking about life, and laughing like crazy. It is as though as we are on the same page…..we “click”, which is why we are probably so close. I don’t think she will ever know how much she means to me or how much I appreciate all she has ever done.

No comments: