Thursday, October 18, 2007

Post Prego


I think the whole ordeal of pregnancy and labor does something to a girl. During my pregnancy I felt so dumb all the time. I forgot how to spell words and made all kinds of silly mistakes at work. I figured that it would go away and I would get back to myself after childbirth. Wrong. If anything, I might be more flighty now. It makes sense, I suppose...since I have my hands full with another human being now. But, STILL, I long for those days of feeling like I held things (somewhat) together.

Case in point: (I love that line). The other evening I took Sasha for a walk once John got home. Sasha doesn't get as much attention as she used to, so I try take her for her "own" walk once a day. We were walking along when we passed another mom and a young baby that looked about 6 months old. Being so used to having Gavin with me and talking aloud about EVERY thing we see, I said, in total baby talk, "Look Sasha. There is a baby just like you. I bet that baby is about as old as you are." The lady looked at me like I was insane, picked up her pace a little bit and went about her way. It took me a second to realize that I had just talked to my dog (not my infant) and that Gavin was not with me. I just shook my head and wondered what possessed me to say something so stupid. Then I started giggling at how funny it must've looked and then realized that I appeared to be more crazy to anyone who was watching.

Another thing I have noticed post partum is that I now talk to myself out LOUD. I will be wandering through Target thinking about the things I need to get and all of a sudden realize that I will have said, "milk, gotta get milk" loud enough for people to hear me. What is up with that?

1 comment:

KD said...

oh, Heidi, that's what makes you YOU! and that's why I love ya.... :)

miss you tons!