Thursday, December 20, 2007

Shop til you Drop

Gavin and I headed out this afternoon for some last minute Christmas shopping. The "town center" where we go is new and filled with lots of stores. We walked,which is about 1.2 miles each way, and enjoyed the warm sunshine and fresh air. As we approached the stores, I noticed immediately that the Christmas "frenzy" was beginning. People are beginning to have that frantic look on their face. We went into TJ Max and a nice lady commented on how cute Gavin is. She said that he was a good shopper and would definitely be a lady's man as he grows older. We ended up in the same checkout line together and she went on to say that he looked like a little genius. Hey, I'll take any flattery I can get...I was so impressed that she did not ask where my sons shoes were. She said that she raised 4 boys of her own, so I asked her: Did you put shoes on your boys when they were little? She exploded in laughter and said, "NO WAY, WHAT WOULD THE POINT OF THAT BE?" I wanted to hug this woman. She went on to say that her sister always had her children in fancy shoes from the day they were born and that she would constantly tell her to put shoes on her own kids. We talked for like ten minutes after we checked out. I was so proud of me! (John would be proud too.) Usually I go into a store with a mission and leave with only a quick "hello", smile, and "thank you" to the person checking me out. Hate all that small talk and chatter. But, today....I talked to strangers!!!! I walked Gavin home in the stroller with a smirk on my face the whole way thinking of my dad's quote: "Shoes? Shoes? We don't need no stinkin' shoes!!!!!!!!!"

2 comments:

KD said...

Heidi, what kind of lesson are you teaching your son talking to strangers like that???? :) JK-given that we are very much alike, i totally get the social anxiety associated w/small talk and strangers wanting to chat w/you in line...congratulations for making that step!

Rachel said...

Congrats to you, Heidi for making small talk. I know it can be difficult. I have found that as I get older I have become less outgoing and socaible, but when we moved back to cali, I told myself I would make an effort to become more sociable and outgoing. So, far so good...knock on wood. I've been doing it, and for the first time in a long time I have somewhat of a life. Kudos to you and me for making efforts to do things out of our comfort zones.

Oh, and all the shoe problems...I never put the girls in shoes until they began walking. Occasionally I would put those cute little dress shoes on them for special occasions, but other than that no shoes. I love baby feet. I have also heard that babies shouldn't wear shoes. I think it has something to do with wiggle room and foot growth, or something along those lines. Whey, this comment turned into a book. I tend to type WAY too much, I'm a chatty person. Have a wonderful Christmas. I'm still trying to get my damn x-mas cards done, I think they'll be more of a New Years Eve card!