Wednesday, September 14, 2005

My Daddio

I call him "daddio". He calls me "Ms. Staunkey". My dad. He is a true family man and he always puts his family first. He is intelligent, witty, creative and fun. He completes the crossword puzzle in the paper each morning, usually in less than 15 minutes. He is extremely generous and is always thinking of others. My dad is tough and determined. He believes in doing a job the right way and would offer the shirt off his back to someone in need. While I was growing up, my dad often worked nights, meaning that he would leave for work in the evening, and get home early the next day. I would wake up early, around 5AM, and he would share his tombstone pizza with me that he was eating for "dinner". One of the many ways he showed his daughter she was loved and to make sure we stayed close. He spent hours helping me with school projects, so that I would get an "A+". I was always proud to turn in work that paid attention to every detail and had a creative touch to it. In grade school, I had to collect and label leaves for a project. My project was the best in the class, with the first page being a typed poem about trees. (I think that I shall never see, a poem as lovely as a tree.....). My dad taught us to love unconditionally and the importance of ALWAYS telling the truth.

No matter what our financial situation was, he always made sure we had exceptional holidays and super fun-filled family vacations. He would sacrifice things he wanted to make sure that everyone had gifts at Christmas and that all enjoyed an elegant dining experience. In an attempt to keep the ever-growing Danner family close, he has repeatedly offered his home as a place for the family to gather. Entertaining is expensive, yet he does so regularly, and I have never heard him say a word about it.

If my dad was here with us in Grand Cayman, life would be much easier! If there is problem, he solves it! Simple as that. He is the king of problem-solving across the board. When I need advice, he is the man I call. He is able to approach a problem objectively and develop efficient solutions. He listens whole-heartedly and is never quick to judge. He is fair and compassionate. He has instilled these values in myself and Eric and for that I am grateful, because I am a better person as a result of all his hard work.

No comments: