Thursday, January 24, 2008

Not so with it.....

I've said many times that my brain has not been the same since pregnancy and child birth. I feel like I just can't get things together, like I am always a step behind. Case in point. (Where does "case in point" come from anyway? It sounds so funny if you say it a couple times.) Case in point: yesterday I took Gavin and Sasha for our daily walk to get the mail. When I opened our mailbox, there was a key chain marked with an "E" with a big key attached to it. I thought, "hmmm...I guess the mailman accidentally left his key in our box". I left it there figuring he would get it when he returned. Today when I got the mail, he was just getting ready to leave. I approached him and said, "Hi Mr. Mailman" (which sounded SO stupid, but I am so used to saying WORDS all day long to Gavin in an effort to identify things). Anyway, I asked him if he found the key he mistakingly left in our mailbox yesterday. He didn't respond at first and instead looked confused. I explained that there was a key left in my mailbox and that I just left it there in hopes that he would find it today. He asked, "what does it look like?" I went to the mailbox, got out the key and smugly handed it to him. He started laughing. Like really laughing. Now I was confused. He stopped laughing and said that the key in the mailbox meant that I was sent a package and I needed the key to access it. All of a sudden it all made sense. Everyday I walk to get the mail I notice several larger mailboxes that people sometimes open. The letter "E" on my key chain corresponded with the big mailbox marked "E". I felt so stupid as I realized all this. I opened up the mailbox and had THREE packages. How exciting!! When you live far away from friends and family you LOVE getting mail. One package was sent from Courtney, another from my parents, and one from Buy.com. Courtney sent us a box filled with Christmas gifts from my relatives. My mom and dad sent some requested items, including the flashlight that dad stole from us at Christmas! And, the book I ordered John arrived!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Oh, Heidi you are not alone! I have moments like that all the time. Case in point(LOL): yesterday I went to pick up Kelsie from the movie theater. I met her at her friends' dads' car in the parking lot to get her soccer bag. I was chatting with the dad, while Kelsie was saying her goodbyes and putting her bag in the trunk. I became flustered because I realized there were cars behind me. I heard the lift gate close, so I began driving away WITHOUT Kelsie. She was running along the side of the car. I stopped and let her in. We all just busted up laughing. I'm not sure why I did that because now that she is 12 she always rides in the front seat with me. Here is another good example Julia and Grace had their winter performance last week. When I picked up the girls from school Grace kept saying she wasn't performing. I was like No, I know you are. I've had it on my calendar for months. So, we get to the school, and I'm in the bathroom with the girls getting them all ready. We are running late(like always, that is an entirely different topic) and the kids are already going on the stage, so I send Julia and Grace with the other class, and I tell them to find their class when they get on stage. I head back to the theater doors, and while I'm getting my ticket here comes Grace with a teacher. Here is the kicker...Grace was right kindergarten was not performing. I felt like the biggest ass. I sent my child on stage and she wasn't even suppose to be there. It turns out I wasn't the only mom who thought the same thing. And there was another mom who sent her child on stage too. So, Heidi you are really not alone at all. You see in the past kindergarten thru 3rd grade preform together, but they changed it this year because they hired another music teacher. I guess that is why I should never assume anything. Anyway I hope this all makes you feel better next time you have a "not so with it moment". I am SO glad we are back in touch with each other.