Wednesday, January 16, 2008

One, two, buckle my shoe...

You all know that I am a little on the OCD side....okay, maybe a lot on the OCD side. I tend to be super organized and I despise clutter. Of course my need to keep things in "order" is just a manifestation of anxiety, but, I know this and knowing is half the battle, right? This intro serves the purpose of segueing into my dilemma of the day. When my parents were visiting, my dad realized that he forgot his shampoo at home. During a shopping trip to Sam's, we found a good price on a "set" of shampoo and conditioner. My parents said they would buy it, my dad would use the shampoo during his stay, and then they leave it for me to use. Although this is a very nice gesture, I had issues with how it would pan out. When I purchase shampoo and conditioner, I begin using both bottles at the same time. There is no other way to do it. So, do you see the problem with starting out with a shampoo bottle that is not as full as the corresponding bottle of conditioner? If I end up using the shampoo before the conditioner is gone, I just throw the rest of the conditioner away and start with two new, full bottles. So...I've thought about my options. I could try to figure out how much shampoo is gone out of the bottle and try to squirt out that much of the conditioner. Or, I could give the bottle of shampoo to someone else and try to find another bottle in the store that is the same size.
I have the same issue with body wash and body lotion. At Christmas I received a bottle of body wash, but no corresponding lotion. Don't people know what stress this causes me? I have to try to find an unscented lotion close to the size of the body wash bottle to make this work. Am I completely insane, or does anyone else relate to me even a little bit?

4 comments:

KD said...

I SO get you with the shampoo/conditioner thing. I totally do that too!!!! It really unnerves me when I see that the amts are unequal. I can't stand it. I'm not as anal about the spray/lotion thing-but I get it! Ah, we both equally neurotic and OCD...must be why we are friends! BTW, read todays blog post-it's about Light Sensitivity Girl!

Rachel said...

I can relate to you, Heidi. The amounts of shampoo and conditioner doesn't bother me, but the bottles do. The bottles have to match, and I arrange all the bath products in the tub from shortest to tallest. I have to have matching shower gel/ bubble bath and lotion too. Steve bought me some lotion that matches my perfume for x-mas but did not get the shower gel, so I can't use the lotion unti I get the shower gel. I'm also nutty about cds/dvds they have to be kept in alphabetical order or I go crazy. And let me tell you that is hard to do with all the girl's movies. Everyones closets are arranged in color order. It just looks so pretty. All of my books have to be lined up together. If the symetry is off I notice it right away. I like to call all of these anal ways monkisms or I say "I'm having a Monk moment". That is in reference to the detective show Monk on USA. Its a cute show about a detective with all kinds of phobias.

Heidi said...

Okay, Kerri and Rach- I feel much better knowing I am not alone. I may be a little crazy, but it is kind of fun. Better than being normal. That would be too boring.

Anonymous said...

okay this may be a dumb question, but don't you use twice as much shampoo as conditioner? I thought folks washed their hair twice and condition once?
please explain.
Melon